St. Michael’s Ward Refurbishment
Thanks to your generosity, we have managed a complete renovation and refit of the ward, providing for:
- 22 new state-of-the-art beds.
- Cardiac and respiratory equipment.
- A playroom for our physically and mentally disabled patients.
- A new floor covering throughout which creates a clean, fresh and more positive environment.
- A revamped parent facility to allow parents valuable time to refresh while not being too far away from their child.
- The new facilities will now allow for wall mounting of certain equipment to allow more space for staff and family in various patient rooms.
- A dining area for children to meet with other inpatients and maintain normal social patterns among their peers.
- New TVs to allow for entertainment to minimise the negative effects of long tedious days of hospitalisation.
- A new suspended ceiling on the central corridor.
- A full repaint in bright colours throughout the ward.
- New location for playroom with extension into courtyard of a conservatory/playroom area.
- Upgrades/replacement of all sanitary ware, wash hand basins etc.
- Repair or replacement of windows and doors.
- Upgraded bathroom and showers with improved wheelchair accessibility to same.
"We are delighted with the newly refurbished St. Michael’s Ward,” Catriona Cox, Clinical Nurse Manager, said. “This refurbishment will hugely benefit the child and parent throughout their hospital stay. The ward is brighter, more spacious and has improved technology and equipment throughout. The additional isolation rooms will improve standards of care for children with isolation needs. A huge thank you from the staff in St Michael’s."
The Cystic Fibrosis Unit containing four single isolation rooms with en-suites were provided thanks to the generosity of those who gave to the Cystic Fibrosis Association. This much needed unit remains part of the larger St. Michael’s ward. Two of these have full hepa-filtration systems and isolation lobbies. Each room has rooming-in facilities for parents. The unit also contains a lounge/kitchenette for parents, a nurse station, storage areas and is linked back to the ward via a link corridor.
The difference that these facilities will make to our CF children and to their families is enormous. Firstly, it means that they can be admitted and kept in hospital safely without risk of contracting bugs from other people sharing their rooms. When children with CF are admitted to hospital, they are seriously at risk from infection which can have a very serious impact on their health. This means that they need not fear going into hospital, they will be able to access all health care needs from their own rooms, and can have their parents close at hand to help them with whatever they need. This progress is a long time coming but is a vital addition to the facilities in Crumlin.
Thanks to you, parents are comforted knowing that they have the best facilities and equipment for their sick child. Now patients and their families are experiencing a brighter place with better specialised equipment. The doctors and nurses have made themselves at home in this new unit are now able to continue to deliver the highest standards of care in a high standard environment. This is all possible thanks to you.